- Mr S Burgess - Head of Department
- Mrs T Starkey
- Mrs S Herd
- Miss D Harrison
Key Stage 3 - Years 7, 8 and 9Geography Milestone Assessment Schedule 2022/23
In year 7, student study the following units over the 6 half terms:
- 1 - The world around us / Geographical Skills.
- 2 - Ecosystems
- 3 - Map Skills
- 4 - Population
- 5 - Resources and Energy
In year 8, students study the following units over the 6 half terms:
- 1 - Weather and Climate
- 2 - Settlement
- 3 - Climate Change
- 4 - Rivers
- 5 - Tourism
- 6 – Around the world
In year 9, students study the following units over the 6 half terms:
- 1 - Natural Hazards & Geology
- 2 - Climatic Hazards
- 3 - Development Issues
- 4 - Economics and the World of Work
- 5 - Coasts
- 6 - Fieldwork skills
Key Stage 4 (GCSE, EDUQAS Exam Board (Geography B)) - Years 10 and 11
In year 10, students study the following units:
- Term 1 - Weather and Climate
- Term 2 - Ecosystems
- Term 3 - Desertification
- Term 4 - Water Issues
- Term 5 - Climate Change
- Term 6 - UK Geography
In year 11, students study the following units:
- Term 1 - Fieldwork & UK Geography
- Term 2 - Urbanisation
- Term 3 - Rivers & Coasts
- Term 4 - Global Development
- Term 5 and 6 - Revision & Exams
Over the course of the two years students spend a minimum of 2 days undertaking fieldwork skills which are then used, and tested in their Paper 3 exam.
- Paper 1 – Geographical Issues, assessing content from all modules and lasting 1hr 45minutes
- Paper 2 – Problem solving geography, assessing content from all modules and lasting 1hr 30minutes
- Paper 3 – Applied Fieldwork and UK Geography, an exam split into 3 sections. 2 sections on the fieldwork methodologies and conceptual framework, with the 3rd section on UK geography. This exam lasts for 1hr 30minutes.
Key Stage 4 - Revision Support
It is extremely important that when using online revision resources students make sure that they are studying the correct content for our exam board. Please see the KS4 information below for the correct information.
- PiXL App - accessible through RM-Unify on the school website.
- EDUQAS - Exam board website, they often put up newsletters full of tips and hints. Click on the 'digital resources' for some other material for study and revision.
- S-Cool website
- GCSE POD
- Seneca Learning
Key Stage 5 (A-Level) - Years 12 and 13
At A-Level we study OCR Geography learning about the following topics:
Exam 1 – 1hr 30minutes – Physical Systems, worth 22% of the A-level, where we study Coastal Landscapes and Earths Life Support Systems.
Exam 2 – 1hr 30minutes – Human interactions, worth 22% of the A-level, where we study Changing Spaces; Making Places, Global Migration and Human Rights.
Exam 3 – 2 hrs 30 minutes – Geographical debates, worth 36% of the A-level, where we study Disease Dilemmas and Hazardous Earth. This paper contains several significant essay questions as part of the assessment.
Over the course of the two years students spend a minimum of 4 days undertaking fieldwork skills which are then used, and tested via a piece of coursework worth 20% of the A-level.
Geography Course Guide Key Stage 5
Last Updated March 2023